Thursday, May 24, 2007

Such Language!

Today's Sex Blog Thursday index can be found here.


Words.  Powerful, sensual words. 


This is about how much I love words and, what's more, how big of a turn-on it is when someone (preferably a male someone) knows how to assemble words into intelligent sentences, intelligent sentences into powerful paragraphs.


Today, three men whose writing makes my stomach flutter have agreed to allow me to post a few of their sentences so I can objectify them for your reading pleasure. 


Disclaimer:  the sentences I post here are not erotic in nature.  However, they have the same effect on me as erotic stories do on some of you.  I'm a geek.  And I'm proud of it.


Before I share, ever mindful that I am a future English teacher, I have to give you a lesson on some rules of language that my man-victims have such excellent command of.  I'll be brief, but if it bores you, skip over it.  You've heard of this stuff before but perhaps you weren't aware of the fact that it just might get you laid someday.


3 Rules of Language


Semantics
Semantics deal with meaning.  Semantics is about being mindful of a word's denotative and connotative meanings when choosing how to express thoughts and ideas.  This also extends to larger units, such as sentences.  Sentence meaning (again both denotative and connotative) can be dependent on how words are combined and arranged.  My favorite writers choose words and form sentences to evoke reaction.


Pragmatics
Pragmatics govern sequence.  They inform us as to when it is necessary for us to respond to something, what type of response is necessary, and what type of response is appropriate.  The fine art of flirtation is all about pragmatics.  Tentative now, aggressive in a minute, when we flirt we are drawing upon our knowledge of pragmatics.


Syntax (saving the best for last)
Syntax is the grammar stuff.  I am a grammar freak.  Syntax is at work when we put words in a certain order so that they make sense and "sound right."  The best writers push syntax to the limit, toying with this position and that.  Good syntax in writing is the guiding force in leaving an impression on the reader.


Okay, enough of that.  Seriously, I get excited just talking about it.  Before I share my man-victims' work, I have to give thanks to those friends (and you know who you are) who correct my spelling and grammar when it falters.  This is also a big turn on.


In one of my favorite blogs, This one also has an unhappy ending, Part 1, by Dave used to be carsAndFence, there is positively no shortage of delicious language.  In fact, I had immense trouble picking my favorite sentence.  This man is a writer.  However, I had to choose one and the biggest reaction came from:
"The finger I place on Daisy Miller is part of a lie."
**sigh**


That Guy Duncan's blog is the first I ever subscribed to over a year ago.  It continues to be one of my absolute favorites because Duncan knows how to use his words.  One blog he wrote a while ago, Snow, spoke to me.  In fact, it tucked me in every night for a week.  Sorry, D, I can be obsessive.  You really have to read the whole thing, but I'm not sure you'll be able to as Duncan does a lot of "friends only" filtering.  Here's a sentence:
"The snow has kidnapped your voice, taken your sounds to a fortress of cotton and nothingness, leaving me without you."
Since I already have it up, I'll probably go ahead and read it before bed tonight ;)


Last, but not least, is Doctor Jones.  In his Random Rants blog, he dedicates a good portion of the tail end of the blog to his search for his ideal mate and what he'd like to do to and for her.  When I read it, I wanted to be that girl.  That's how powerful it was.  I immediately sent him a message that said something along the lines of "Here's my phone number.  Call me, I'd desperately like to have phone sex with you."  No, I didn't.  But I wanted to.  Again, hard to pick one sentence:
"I dream of watching all of the Academy Award best picture winners together and having vivid discussions that color the night and set our minds aflame."
Okay, reading that blog again in the middle of the day when my son is at home was a bad idea.


You all get it, I hope.  A big "thank you" to my man-victims for letting me put your words here.

No comments: