Sunday, May 20, 2007

Horse Races!

Last night was my annual trip to the horse races in Canada.



I love the horse races.  If you've never been, you don't even know.  I liken the trip to a pap smear.  I have to go every year.  Only it's more fun.  The races, not the pap smear.


Anyhow.


There were supposed to be 9 of us.  3 had to drop out.  Mostly, the night was spent with my brother, his wife, and Todd's sisterSara and Mike were also there, but they sat indoors where the rest of us like to be track-side.


This is why:


I got a little tipsy.  It was intended to be so.  My brother drove.  He's very tall and even in my mid-sized SUV (yes, I know how evil that makes me), his head touched the roof.


I promise to get to how much money I lost but, first, I have to rave about my family. 


Over the past year, I've gone through some positive transformations.  I'm very happy and I know that I'm "on the right path."  Last night, in my somewhat alcohol-induced haze, I felt things.  Two things.


I'm happy knowing that, despite the divorce, I will always remain close with Dawn.  She will always be my family.


Second, Chris and Treasure no longer make me want to vomit.  Chris and Treasure really, truly have managed to be in love for the entire time they've been together (12 years?).  Normally, I would roll my eyes and be uncomfortable with their affection.  This probably is because I've lacked that level of intimacy in my own life.  I don't really feel like I lack it anymore.  Now, I just feel like it's something to aspire to.  I want that with another person.  Perhaps I won't shove my toes into his mouth in public, but they love each other and I'm officially okay with however they choose to behave.  This is a big step for me.


I was happy last night. 


I left the States with $50 USD and came home with $34.  I usually like to come home with the same amount that I left with, even after drinks, programs, and bridge fare.  I didn't do as well at the track as I usually do, but in that money that I "lost," I have to factor in the alcoholic beverages that I consumed.  Typically, I like for my modest (I'm quite a conservative better) earnings to cover my drinks.  Not the case last night.  However, afterward, I had $10 CDN and I needed to get rid of it, so I played the nickel slots as the racetrack also has slot machines.  After approximately $.50, I won $16.44 CDN.  I turned $10 into $26.44.  This pleased me greatly.  I would have stopped having won $5.  That's how conservative I am in these matters.


Bottom line:  horse races good, Melissa happy.


And my family is the best.

No comments: