Sunday, July 30, 2006

Home From Vacation

I just got home from vacation. We went camping for 2 night in Traverse City. Whenever I go to T.C., which has only been 4 times ever, I realize how beautiful Michigan is. On the southeastern side of the state, it's really only about squeezing the maximum amount of subdivisions possible into as little space as possible. But on the western and northern side of the state, it's quite breathtaking.

My husband wasn't able to get the time off work, so it was just me, the kids, and my in-laws (mother, sisters, brother, nieces). I am so lucky to have in-laws that I get along with so that I feel just as comfortable with them as with my own family.

After camping we went up to Mackinaw City for 2 nights, spending a day on Mackinac Island. It may have been too hot a day for my first trip ever to the island. It was beautiful to look at but not to smell. For those who don't know (and I'm relatively certain I was the only one to not know), there are no automobiles on the island. One can only get around by bike or horse. Thus, on a hot day, the pungent odor of manure is all about.

The best part of the vacation for me was Jenna's complete fascination for Fort Michilimackinac. It's good to see her interested in history at such a young age. My interest in history didn't develop until fairly recently, so a trip to Fort Michilimackinac at Jenna's age would have been torture. Actually, it was great to see my recently acquired knowledge of Michigan history cemented in Mackinaw City and on Mackinac Island. I actually have a great deal of appreciation for Michigan right now.

As always, it's good to be home.

No comments: