Thursday, February 19, 2009

Unemployment Chronicles: Vol 1

As I twiddle my thumbs waiting for my substitute teacher certification to be complete (all the while kicking myself for not getting it done a looooong time ago), I am doing my best to keep my days full so as not to get depressed sitting at home all day.

For the most part it hasn't been so bad.  My sister and SJ keep me entertained Monday through Thursday while the kids are in school.  My children and the new boyfriend fill the weekends.  I've had little things here and there, the ever constant Vintage night on Thursdays (hallelujah!), coffee dates, Valentine's parties at the kids' school, etc. that keep me sane.  Two days ago, there was a day trip to IKEA.  Before I go there:

(Why on Earth did I spend that much money on lunch when I'm unemployed?!?!  Good god, what is wrong with me?)

My sister announced last week that she wanted to take a drive to IKEA.  We have one IKEA in MI and it's an hour and a half away.  She wanted to get kitchen supplies, like measuring cups.  When grilled about why, in spite of IKEA's low prices, she would waste that much gas for measuring cups, she aptly pointed out that I had nothing better to do.  So we went.

Sarajane and my mom didn't have anything better to do, either.  So they went.
SJ and I decided sushi was in order and plotted that into our day.
 
My mom and sister wanted nothing to do with the sushi, so it was all ours!  Mwahahaha!  The sushi:

 

In spite of my Asian's insistence upon only ordering nigiri, I always order a roll anyway.  The Alaska roll:

 

Halfway there:

 

All the way there (empty bottle of sake, or "cups of cum" as my sister called them with a wary eye):

 

My sister was a trooper.  Not only did she eat her shrimp and vegetable tempura (not ALL of it), she tried the roll:

 

...and ate some of my mom's food so my mom wouldn't look like an American whiny baby!

 

Mommy no like Japanese food:

 

After stuffing ourselves, we were off to IKEA.  If you've never been, it's an awesome shopping experience, if you're into that sort of thing, which I'm not.

Upon arriving, my mom went right to the cafeteria for some down home American food, chicken strips and macaroni and cheese:

 

The main floor of IKEA is the actual item selection area.  The second floor is the showroom.  Kitchens, bedrooms, living rooms, etc.  SJ and I had fun in the children's area:



 

My mom had fun cooking in an IKEA kitchen:

 
SJ and I had more fun. 

Scissoring on an IKEA bed:


Getting a massage:

 

My sister had fun, too.  Ultimately, I do believe that she made enough purchases to justify the gas money.

I'm still left short justifying my lunch bill.

P.S.  Kindle will be at my door in 6 days!!!  Just in time for "Unemployment Chronicles:  Vol. Two (a photoblog starring Kindle)

No comments: