Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Things I've Taught My Mother-in-law

My mother-in-law is looking for a new job because after 24 years, there have been cuts at her job and her hours have been drastically reduced. Sometimes things like this happen to people as they get older, but in her case, that's not it. She was one of the only, if not the only, paid employee of our local minor hockey association. So, if the board was looking to cut payroll (although it would be safe to venture that some of the reasoning was political), she would be the only one to get cut.

So, I've been thinking of her alot lately and how unfair it is that this should happen to her a year and a half before my deceased father-in-law's death benefits will kick in. I started to think about how knowing me for 13 years has affected her or enriched her and I'm pretty sure that there are many ways as we get on much better than most mother-daughter-in-law relations do.

For the most part, I'm confident that I've brought alot of laughter to her life. I leave you with one example that is rather superficial, but I think the rest is too private to share.

Three vocabulary terms my mother-in-law would never have learned if not for me: Camel Toe, Moose Knuckle, and Circle Jerk.

There you have it. As you can surely see, there are many more ways to enrich someone's life than those that appear as very obvious.

No comments: